Wednesday, 29 August 2012

magnolia Stamp Keepsake Easel Card

Hello bloggin peeps, back again with a keepsake box this time made for a friend of my sisters on his christening day.

I am not going to go into too much detail on how I made the box but to say I used (as always) a hougie board, lots of glue and card.  It really doesn't matter too much what weight of card you use as long as when you decorate the outside it tends to add stability and I always line the inside with some gold card which also adds to its strength.

After making and assembling the box I cut a layer of gold mirri for each side and then a smaller layer of blue coredinations which I embossed with a spellbinders Mbossibility folder and sanded I chose the fleur de lis design as it was the most 'churchy' one I had.

I then cut and folded a card to fit the top of the chest so it would lie flat when not propped open without overlapping any edges of my box and before I glued it to the chest made it into an easel card.

I printed a design out using serif craft artist from one of their designs.  I specified the paper size on the options so the swirl at the side and border were perfect for my card.  I cut the blue dotted shape from a DCWV pad using the grand book pages die from spellbinders and glued into place.  I stamped the little magnolia prince and coloured to match my colour scheme and using glue gel stuck him onto the card.  I used the storybook cricut cartridge to cut the letters and layered them onto white card, blue card and then gold and glued into place.  I added a little card candy and a button with a blue rope bow for decoration.  The base of the easel card was a gold mirri layer, a layer of DCWV check paper, a spellbinder border in gold and some blue gem hearts for decoration.  I also added some cosmic shimmer pva 'pearls' on the base and when dried glued to the top of my box.
The drawer handles on this unit were really cool, I have been playing with jewellery making lately and thought it would be nice to make some drop handles.  I cut the fleur de lis from a spellbinder set and used them as the base for my handles.  I made a hole in the drawer front through the shape and the drawer and put an eyepin through making sure the eyepin was horizontal on the outside  (I had already threaded on two small blue beads)  and on the back of the drawer bent the pin down so it was tight and did not move on the front before securing  it to the back of the drawer.  I then took a headpin and a bead cap threaded on a blue bead, another bead cap and a few small clear beads.   I then made a loop at the top nice and tight so the beads didn't move and attached it to my eyepin.

I then glued gold mirri sections into all the drawers to strengthen them and hide the workings at the front.

Was really quite pleased with this one took a day and a half - mostly finding the bits and deciding what to do but it was a nice size for all those baby bits people tend to save.

Anyway all for now

Take care 

Cj x